The Berovski House
Located in the eastern part of town, in the Adzhundar quarter, at 189 Tsar Osvoboditel Street.
The house belonged to Kostandiy Berovski — a fighter in the band of Ilyo Voyvoda and a noted public figure and writer. His brother was Dimitar Popgeorgiev Berovski, a national revolutionary and leader of the Razlovtsi Uprising. The building, with its characteristic Revival-era construction, layout, and spatial composition, dates to the mid-19th century. It consists of a stone-masonry ground floor and a residential level with a symmetrical plan. The compositional centre of the upper floor is formed by two halls connected by a staircase, with a kiosk (kyoshk) above the entrance. The overall spatial arrangement also includes four rooms opening onto each hall. The yoke-shaped pediment above the kiosk stands out with its decorative elements.
Emfiedzhieva House
It stands in the Lozenets quarter (today 24a Gorotsvetna Street), once inhabited mainly by merchants and craftsmen.
The house was built in 1874 and belonged to Hristo Lazov, a coppersmith and master craftsman of the guild, who had settled here from Shtip. It passed to his daughter's husband, Nikola Emfiedzhiev, a trader in snuff (emfie) — hence the name of the house. It is a single-storey building on a U-shaped plan, with semi-sunken cellars and courtyards enclosed by massive stone walls. It has a glazed vestibule, a large reception hall, a small parlour for afternoon visits, a bedroom, a living room, and a kitchen with a dining area. The living room and the adjacent small parlour are heated by a "dzhamal" fireplace. The furnishings date from the 1920s and 1930s. During the Russo-Turkish War of Liberation, two of the rooms housed the headquarters of the 4th Kharkov Uhlan Regiment, under Major General Meyendorff, Colonel Viktor Ivanovich Ertel, and Lieutenant Colonel Dazernovski. The northeastern room is known as "Ertel's study". It has a wooden ceiling — a stylized celestial vault with images of archangels.
The Doctor's House
Located at 13 Targovska Street, in the old Revival-era quarter.
The house belonged to Ivancho Hristov Hekim and is known among the people of Kyustendil as the Doctor's House. It was built in the 1850s of stone and timber, with lime plaster in grey-blue. It consists of a stone ground floor with a double-leaf outer door and an apothecary's shop (spitseria) facing the street, and an upper storey with prominent bay windows projecting above the entrance. The southwestern room on the ground floor is heated by a dzhamal fireplace. The ceilings of the kiosk and the upper rooms (southwestern and southeastern) are decorated with stylized geometric motifs (a sun, the tree of life, a lattice "asma" ceiling), and in the corners there are triangular pendentives bearing images of double-headed eagles.
The Prokopiev House
Located near Velbazhd Square and the Church of the Dormition of the Theotokos, at 26 Konstantinova Banya Street.
This is the oldest surviving Revival-era house in town, dated to the end of the 18th century, and belonged to the ahtar (chorbadzhi) Davidko Yakovich, a merchant of household goods. His name is mentioned in the school register (kondika) of Kyustendil dated 3 March 1846. Over time the house was passed down through the family; its current owner is Agnesa Prokopieva-Petrova, who lives in Sofia. The ground floor and the upper storey are connected by an external staircase, which divides the ground floor into two halves: a western half with a symmetrical layout of a corridor and two rooms, and an eastern half with a wardrobe room, a kitchen, and a shop. The upper floor follows an L-shaped composition — with a "bend" — and is likewise divided by the staircase into two residential parts, the stairs leading up to the veranda (chardak) with a kiosk. One of the western rooms has a fireplace and a coffered ceiling. The wooden ceilings, the work of a master from Debar, are adorned with rich carved compositions. A striking example is the room off the veranda: the massive ceiling carving takes the form of an octagonal mirror, a symbol of the celestial hemisphere, its field filled with floral motifs and, in the corner panels, shields bearing images of double-headed eagles. The eastern residential wing was built in the 19th century; around the 1870s its hall housed the town's Greek school.
The House of Tonche Kadinmostki
Located in the eastern part of town, in the Adzhundar quarter, at 191 Tsar Osvoboditel Street.
The house belonged to Tonche Kadinmostki, standard-bearer in the band of Ilyo Voyvoda. It was built in the 1830s. The building has two levels — a basement and an upper floor with a symmetrical composition of a hall and two rooms. The veranda with its kiosk opens to the east. One of the rooms features a wall of panelled cupboards with "a la franga" niches and a decorative "sun" ceiling. A tangible sense of warmth and comfort is achieved through the combination of panelled doors, elegant windows, railings, and the architectural detailing of the columns.
The Granitski House
Located at 11 Targovska Street, in the old Revival-era quarter.
The house belonged to Hristo Granitski, a wealthy Kyustendil merchant. Judging by the building's plan and composition, the organization of its facade, and its overall architectural style, it dates to the mid-19th century. The ground-floor core of the house contains a shop, and the upper floor has a decorative ceiling. Between the Doctor's House and the Granitski House lies a shared courtyard.
The Major's House
It stands in the central part of town, in the Kaynarlak quarter (today 83 Tsar Osvoboditel Boulevard).
The Major's House dates from 1870 and was the home of Major Yosif Angelov (1857–1913). It is distinguished by a richly decorated facade facing the courtyard. The entrance takes the form of a niche framed by two granite columns and an arch. Above the glazed kiosk rises a beautiful yoke-shaped pediment. In spatial and compositional terms, the house has a semi-sunken ground floor and an upper storey with a single axis of symmetry. The kiosk on the upper floor is raised 50 cm above the hall floor and set off by a low wooden railing. The southeastern room has built-in "a la franga" cupboards and a carved wooden ceiling with a coffered octagonal mirror.